Total Pageviews

Friday, October 21, 2016

Chicago 365 Playoff Central: One More To Go.

     Coming into Game 5 of the NLCS, the Cubs had the series all tied up. Jon Lester was on the mound. The Cubs struck first, with a hit by Anthony Rizzo in the 1st. But the Dodgers eventually got that one back. After that, the scoring calmed down a bit. It stayed tied at 1-1 until the 6th inning, when Addison Russell stepped to the plate. After breaking out of his scoreless slump the night before, he went deep again! All of a sudden it was 3-1 Cubs. After a few more innings, the team struck again in the 8th. This time we got 5 runners across home plate in the inning, running up our lead to 8-1. Then of course, we proceeded to give 3 of those runs back, before eventually holding on for an 8-4 victory. This upheld yet another patented 2016 Cubs trend, running up the score and then letting the bullpen cough up some of those runs. An alarming trend, but it works as long as you've got the early lead.

     So after that victory, where does that leave us? It leaves us within striking distance of our first Pennant since 1945, that's where it leaves us. Now I know everyone always talks about how 'it's personal now', but for me it kind of is. Back in 2003 the Cubs came this close as well, only to fall to the Marlins by dropping the last two games at Wrigley Field. That season also marked my awakening as a Cubs fan. Since then I've followed the team through thick and thin, late season collapses, upsetting playoff upsets, and just some bad baseball. At times it feels like I've taken a 13 year graduate course in how it feels to be a Cubs fan. And now I'm finally caught up with the beginning. I will be in Wrigleyville for Game 6. I may be able to get into the game, I may not. Whatever happens, I will be there to see it, and then report back. Till then, Go Cubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment