Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 2: It's Letterman! It's Obama! It's a Man--with a Fish?

          Before we get too far into this blog, I feel that I should mention something. I work at the Shedd Aquarium, so you can expect to see references pop up here and there from time to time.  Anyway, why I bring this up is that Shedd is the destination of our first actual thing to see/do in Chicago. No, we're not going to be profiling the Shedd today, but we are profiling something on the Shedd property.  In 2001, one of Shedd's trustees commissioned a statue by the artist Stephan Balkenhol(to the tune of $1 Million) that would sit outside of Shedd's accessible entrance.  The statue is entitled Man with Fish, and that is pretty much what it is.  Apparently, this artist goes around the country making different statues, all featuring a man holding something.  And so, that is the story of one what has become one of the more unique features of the Museum Campus over the last decade.  One more thing that relates back to the title of this piece.  Several times over the course of the summer, I would have guests come up to me and ask me if the man in the statue was supposed to be Obama(the man in the statue is painted black, and being that this is Chicago, I can almost see how one might be tempted to think this is in tribute to the President.[However, the fact that the statue was built in 2001 pretty well kaboshes that theory]).  And then today, I overhear a guest asking whether the statue was meant to be depicting David Letterman.  Yup, only in Chicago.

          Congrats on the first day done.  Only 363 left to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment